OFF CAMPUS | Il Cantiere per le Periferie is an initiative promoted by Polisocial with the aim of strengthening the presence of Politecnico di Milano inside the city of Milan, following the principle of a university that is more responsible, open, aware of social challenges and closer to the community.
The initiative was launched in 2018 and the first Off Campus space in the San Siro district was opened in April 2019, while the second space in the Nolo district was opened in September 2020. Within the Off Campus, teachers, researchers and students develop innovative teaching activities, attentive to the development of new skills, gained through work in real contexts; responsible research, attentive to the development of inclusive processes of knowledge production; co-designing with local realities to carry out interventions capable of producing a positive impact in the community.
OFF CAMPUS SAN SIRO
Politecnico di Milano has been working for years in the San Siro neighbourhood, especially through the Mapping San Siro Research and Action Lab, which promotes various initiatives in the district.
Off Campus San Siro is located in via Gigante and has opened in April 2019 and the first operating Off Campus space. The activities carried out here originate from cooperation between university, inhabitants and local networks, coordinated by Mapping San Siro, the WRP research group and the Envisioning San Siro educational project.
• Research: the
role of Living Labs in marginal areas; policies and projects related with
housing and local life; educational poverty and segregation in multicultural
• Education and culture: training labs for local citizenship; Caffè San Siro; cultural events; educational seminars and workshops; Compulsory Internships
• Co-design: reactivation of ground floors and public/common spaces; upskilling of foreign women; promotion of a working table on future scenarios
• Neighbourhood archive: collection of texts and materials, also starting from the inhabitants’ personal archives; coordination of the Sansheros Local Network, encompassing several neighbourhood actors
• Juridical service desk and legal education, thanks to cooperation with Bocconi University
Off Campus San Siro
Via Gigante (opposite to building no. 5)
Opening time: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 am to 05:30 pm
/// /// /// /// /// /// ///
OFF CAMPUS NOLO
The second Off Campus space of the Politecnico di Milano is located in the Nolo district and is based on the desire to consolidate and strengthen the presence of our University in this area where, thanks to the work carried out by the POLIMI DESIS Lab of the Department of Design, the School of Design and the School of Architecture, Urban Planning and Construction Engineering, activities and projects have been developed over time for the Municipal Market and neighbouring districts.
At Off Campus Nolo you will find:
- an observatory on issues related to the regeneration and reactivation of neighbourhoods
- educational workshops, seminars and lessons open to the neighbourhood, exhibitions and shows, public events
- activities of co-design, dialogue and meeting with local and institutional actors
- an open and accessible neighbourhood archive, in which documents, theses, projects will be collected, intended as a heritage for the neighbourhood and the city.
Off Campus Nolo hosts Radio Nolo, the neighbourhood radio station open to residents and with a programme of information, entertainment to and from the neighbourhood and media education activities for all age groups.
Off Campus Nolo
Mercato Comunale, Viale Monza 54
Opening hours: Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.